Assault Wing 188.8.131.52 was published today. It features the following changes.
- Support for web start. See below for the full story.
- Removed the XACT sound engine. The XNA sound engine is the only choice from now on. XACT was used only as a workaround to a rare crash bug that has been fixed now.
- Some player colors are a bit brighter now. This makes their chat messages easier to read.
- Fixed a problem running an Assault Wing game server behind a particular type of router.
- Fixed a crash when joining a server after an unsuccessful server creation attempt.
On the web side, this new version of Assault Wing is accompanied by a brand new feature: joining the Battlefront from the web! It works like this:
- Install Assault Wing. You probably have done this already. Note that you have to run the game at least once for the installation to complete.
- Browse to the Battlefront.
- Log in with your registered pilot. Registering a pilot is easy and free, if you haven't done it already.
- On the Battlefront Summary page, click on Quick Play. (You really can't miss that button.) You get to choose your ship, weapon and ship modification. When you're done, Assault Wing is launched and you join the game immediately. Simple and easy!